Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pro-Anorexia Websites?? Seriously?!

Those of you who know me well, know that I have never been entirely happy with my weight. It's something that I can be very sensitive about and I'm likely to snap your head off if you say anything about it that's less than complimentary! So, when surfing the internet for quick and easy weight loss tips I came across a website that offered these things. It turned out to be a pro-anorexia website. I'd only read about these types of sites in magazines and never really thought much about them. But when faced with the reality of this website I was completely blown away by how unbelievably dangerous they are for girls (and boys) who are suffering from this awful illness! 

Seriously? 

This particular website offers 20 tips on how to anorexic especially if your young and still living with your parents....One such tip is 

17. Leave traces of food that you would have eaten. For example, when I was in high school my mom made me eat breakfast. So I would get up a little earlier, go to the kitchen, make some toast, fix some cereal, and get out a yoghurt  Toast the bread (leave the toaster out), put crumbs on the plate, pour some cereal and throw it down the garbage disposal, do the same with the yoghurt  If the food isn't there, your parents will think that you ate it!

It also lists the 'thin commandments' as reasons to be anorexic!!

If you aren’t thin, you’re ugly.
Being thin and perfect are signs of true determination.Being thin is way more important than being healthy.

You must do anything to make yourself look thinner.
Thou shall not eat without feeling guilty.
Thou shall not eat fattening foods without punishing yourself accordingly.
Thou shall always count calories.
The scale is everything.
Losing=Life, Gaining=Death
You must become thin.


Am I being stupidly naive in thinking that websites like these should be banned because of the potential damage caused to the people taking heed of such tips? 

To actually recommend that someone put their body through the physical hardship of starving themselves is not only physically damaging but mentally so!

Surely there's someone out there as outraged as I am about this...?

Something needs to be done about these websites, but what? Any ideas?

K

1 comment:

  1. I'm surprised they're not banned! 'Being thin is way more important than being healthy.' That's so scary!

    ReplyDelete